Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Laura's very first Muskie Ever-FAIL

This story took place when I was 8 years old. (Young I know, but I was big into fishing when I was 3) My dad, my brother, and I used to spend 2 weeks in summer up at "The Shack." My dad's property with a quanset hut dropped on it. We have no electricity, no running water, no telephone, and no bathroom. We have an outhouse and propane hookup.







We got used to it.



Anyhow, we all went fishing on the Chippewa Flowage in my dad's skanoe one day. Unfortunately for my dad and brother, I was the only one catching anything. Small mouth, large mouth, northern pike, you name it. Although I'm sure my dad was happy for me, he became increasinly frustrated with his lack of catching anything. He is an excellent fisherman-don't get me wrong-but today was evidently NOT his day. He even resorted to a worm and bobber just to catch a blue gill. Which he couldn't even hook into. His frustration increased.

I don't know if I was taking a break or what, but my red and white striped jawbreaker with a white rubber skirt was dangling some feet in the water off the side of the skanoe. I didn't have my hands on my pole, it was just propped up against the side. Well, apparently my non-chalant attitude and the fact that my line was in the water, which I was doing absolutely nothing with, pushed my dad a bit too far. He had been casting all  day without so much as a nibble. So he yelled at me to get my line out of the water if I wasn't going to fish.

Being a child, I rolled my eyes at him and grudgingly picked up my pole. 




I watched my pole bend in half and the drag started screaming!







OH MY GOD!!!!!!!





My dad started yelling at me to set the hook but I was in such a state of utter shock all I could do was hang onto the pole and try to keep tension on the line. I have no clue how long this went on for. Suddenly, about 30 yards out from our boat this well-over-36inch Muskie crashes through the surface of the water and into the sky. My jaw dropped. The moment it hit the water my line went slack.

I never did set the hook.

*facepalms*



Well, to this day, my dad refers to the Chippewa River as "No Fish River" due to this particular day where he didn't catch one fish. He did manage to hook into a nice piece of driftwood, however. He demonstrated excellent catch and release technique when putting it back into its natural habitat.








No comments:

Post a Comment